Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I test my phone to make sure you have my information correct?
Simply call the center in advance at (785) 263-4041 and ask if you can conduct a 9-1-1 test call. The dispatcher will have you call 9-1-1 from your home/landline phone and check the information with you.

What should I do if I accidentally dial 9-1-1?
If this happens, do not hang up. Please stay on the line until we answer and can verify that it was a misdial. If you hang up, we are mandated to send law enforcement officers to your residence to investigate the incident.

How do I find out about road conditions?
The State of Kansas has created a quick dial number which provides this information. Just dial 511 from your phone and follow the directions. You can also visit the KDOT website.

Who do I call to find out about school closings?
Check your local TV and radio stations. These are the first entities notified in case of a school closing. The 9-1-1 center is not notified.

Can you tell me if there is a warrant for my arrest?
No. We can not verify your true identity over the phone therefore we can not provide private information. You must go to the office at the Dickinson County Sheriff’s Department, provide them with your name and a photo ID and they can provide you with the information.

If I report a crime, do I have to give my name?
It is not required that you provide your name, However, it is best if we have your name and a phone number, so you can be reached at in case we should need to call you back for more information. We do not provide your name to the press or anyone else that is not law enforcement currently working the case. If you wish to report a crime or have information about a crime and want to remain totally anonymous you can call Crimestoppers of Dickinson County at (888) 5DK-TIPS, (888) 535-8477. You can also text your tips to Crimestoppers by texting your tip to: DKTIPS to 274637 or visit the Dickinson County Crimestoppers Facebook page.

Who do I call when my electricity goes out?
When your electricity goes out you should notify your service provider. They can most promptly get your service restored.
  • Westar Energy (800) LIGHT-KS (1-800-544-4857)
  • DS&O Rural Electric 1-800-376-3533
  • City of Enterprise (785) 263-8323
  • City of Chapman (785) 922-6582
  • City of Herington (785) 258-2271
How do I report my cellular phone lost?
Call the dispatch center at (785) 263-4041 and advise the communications officer that you have lost your cell phone. The officer will take your name and address and issue you a case number and a badge number for the officer taking the report. Next, call your cellular service provide and inform them of the lost phone. They will ask you for the case number and reporting officer.