Household Hazardous Waste


Household Hazardous Waste can be disposed of, free of charge, for all residents of Dickinson County. 

Businesses will be charged, at cost, for disposal of approved Hazardous Waste.

For a full list of materials accepted at the Dickinson County Transfer Station click here.

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste, or HHW, is the material left over when you are finished with a product containing hazardous substances like the ones listed below.


  • Arsenicals
  • Botanicals
  • Carbonates
  • Chlorinated hydrocarbons
  • Fungicides
  • Herbicides
  • Houseplant insecticides
  • Organo-phosphates
  • Roach & Ant killers
  • Rat and mouse poisons


  • Enamel or oil based paints
  • Latex or water based paints
  • Rust Paints
  • Thinners and turpentine furniture strippers
  • Wood preservatives, stains, and finishes
  • Spray Paint

Auto Products

  • Antifreeze/Coolant
  • Transmission fluid
  • Brake Fluid
  • Used motor oil
  • Batteries
  • Oil filters
  • Fuel
  • Washer fluid

Household Products

  • Oven cleaners
  • Toilet cleaners
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Disinfectants
  • Drain cleaners
  • Rug and upholstery cleaners
  • Floor and furniture polish
  • Bleach and cleaners containing bleach
  • Mothballs
  • Detergents 

Why not just throw it away?

When you dispose of Household Hazardous Waste at a recycling facility such as ours, you are giving new life to a product that may have otherwise been landfilled. Recycling helps keep potentially toxic substances from contaminating our soils and groundwater.

Not sure if your items are accepted? 

Generally speaking, if it is a product you've used around the house for cleaning, gardening, painting, or repair it is likely accepted as HHW. If you're still not sure about a particular item, or if you have any questions regarding accepted materials, please call our office at 785-263-4780. 

Where do I drop off my Household Hazardous Waste? 

Household Hazardous Waste is accepted at the Dickinson County Transfer station, located at 2363 Jeep Road, Abilene, KS 67410. There is a designated building on the left side of the driveway marked "Household Hazardous Waste Collections Site". Residents may place their items on the carts in front of the building. Businesses must check in with the HHW Attendant or the Scale Operator prior to leaving their items. 

When can I dispose of my Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste is accepted year-round during normal hours of operation. The Transfer Station is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. 

Please note, the Transfer Station is closed on several major holidays including but not limited to:

  • New Year's Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day (4th of July)
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day